April 30, 2010

Q&A with Artist/Designer, Anastasia Thompson of "Heaven" & "Sacred Treasures"


ANASTASIA THOMPSON has been creating beautiful, one-of-a-kind jewelry by hand for more than 25 years. She holds a firm place as one of the foremost designers on the Central Coast. Her instantly-recognizable work sets both she and the lucky wearer apart from the crowd.

Her most recent line of jewelry brings her passion of antique and vintage devotional pieces to life, as she creates new designs with these treasures she loves collecting. It is these works of art that inspire the designs for her hand-painted clothing line.

Ambiance is proud to feature such a creative and dynamic woman in this, our first ever artist profile.

Q. Hi Stasi! Please briefly describe your creative process, from concept to finish...

A. Well, that is hard to say, as the hunting is the first part... estate sales, flea markets, etc... for vintage chains and such. After getting back to the studio, the focal pieces speak to me... then things just come together. At that point it could be hours or merely moments.

Q. What do you hope to convey with your work?

A. What I'm doing is breathing new life into reclaimed vintage items. Once each piece is lovingly re-created, it is cherished again for years to come.

Q. In terms of inspiration, what are you excited about right now?

A. Well, I have always tried to be true to my real passion which is antique devotional relics. Then designing new, wearable art from them. But my latest creations have been from finding beautiful, eclectic vintage objects; and with a more organic approach, turning these discovered treasures into environmentally responsible, intimate creations. Hence the name, "Sacred Treasures”.

Q. What first inspired you to become an artist/designer?

A. As a child I excelled in art... it was truly a gift from God; and I have always felt the need to share it in a positive way.


Q. What handmade possession do you cherish most?

A. My grandparents were artists as well and I have many of their handmade treasures. If I had to chose just one it would have to be a beautiful carving of a praying Mary that my grandfather carved out a single piece of wood.


Q. Apart from creating things, what do you do?

A. I am a singer and a drummer, and I love to play and record music with my husband, who is a guitar player, songwriter and recording genius.

Q. Finish this sentence: "In 10 years, I'd like to be..."

A. A working artist known for making art that touches people in a way that it does to me while I am creating it.

THANKS SO MUCH, STASI!

If you're not already familiar with her amazing work, make a point of checking it out in person at Ambiance: 737 Higuera St. San Luis Obispo.


10 comments:

Cakeyism said...

Great post! So interesting to read directly from the designer themselves; makes their work so much more meaningful and beautiful. <3Ambiance!

Coral at Ambiance said...

AGREED! It was such a treat to have the opportunity to hear a few behind-the-scenes secrets of her craft. She's an inspiration.

Thanks for reading and supporting our local artists! :)

Sue B said...

I have known Stasi for year, her raw talent never ceases to amaze me! She lives her passion. I am so looking forward to choosing some fabulous jewels to update my collection.

Judi Young said...

Wow, great post! Lovely to get an inside peak at the talented artist who creates my favorite jewelry (and tee's). It's fascinating to know that she comes from a long line of artists.

When I wear my Heaven pieces, I always get comments and compliments - each piece stands out and just makes the outfit. Thanks for this great interview!

Ellen Gaver said...

What an awesome interview! And you're right Stasi - your talent is a gift from God. You are amazing and your pieces speak volumes...don't ever question that! xo

Brooke Chase said...

Stasi absolutely creates pieces that exude incredible talent and creativity. I am amazed with each and every piece and I must say as an owner of a number of Sacred Treasure pieces (although I will be adding a few pieces of heaven), I am constantly wowed. I love that I can feel the love with each piece she hand-crafts. Her talent... which is her voice, her love and the essence of who she is to the core..... definitely resonates through the individual wearing her pieces!
Looking forward to seeing the artist in action for years to come!

Katharine said...

I personally own over 30 peices from the amazing Anastasia, from hoodies to bedazzled tees & lariot necklaces to crosses- all one of a kind!! Just like Stase...such a gifted artist!

Liza Ingram said...

Did you ever come across something that you just had to have? Stasi's jewelry is truly unique and I had to have this one particular piece: a beautiful garnet cross with a crucifix and I love it. The amazing part is no one will have this exact piece because all her jewelry is one of a kind. As a gift all would be happy to own.
So, if you love owning jewelry take a look at Staci's line and get hooked.

Karen English said...

Great interview and such a lovely picture of the very talented Stasi. I am privileged to know Stasi as a dear friend but first met her at a trunk show at Ambiance featuring her jewelry....I have been a collector since that day and am the proud owner of more pieces than I can count! Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, t's and bunches of hoodies. I travel often with my work and everywhere I go I am wearing one of her special pieces and women everywhere stop me and ask "where did you get that?" Thanks to Ambiance for this great feature on a truly blessed and gifted artist!!! Thank you Stasi for acknowledging the gift God blessed you with! Oh, and by the way. I also own one of her cd's!! She rocks!!

annette said...

What a great, inciteful interview!! I have had the privilege of knowing Stase for a number of years and I am always amazed by her prolific talent and focus!!
She truly does put her heart into every piece of art she creates and you can feel it when you wear them....
We are lucky to have such a big talent in our little town!!!